Why Regardless Is A Powerful Word
When left unobserved, my mind can play tricks on me. The biggest trick it plays is the one where it makes me believe the lame excuses of why my future is limited or why my current reality won’t ever change. One thing I’ve been playing with lately is the word regardless.
Adverb: Without paying attention to the present situation; despite the prevailing circumstances
Because no matter what the current reality is or what others might be telling me (even “authorities” like doctors, teachers, bosses), the future is always a blank canvas yet to be painted. Unless I can predict the future with 100% accuracy, then my predictions are just that, predictions, not certainties. Possibilities that might come true. So since I cannot know the future with full certainty, why not choose a frame of mind that gives me power, opens up my energy and most importantly, allows me to feel better in the present moment?
Try on some of these for yourself:
- Regardless of the dumb thing you just blurted out, it doesn’t mean the entire conversation needs to suck.
- Regardless of what job you might have, the clothes you wear or the car you drive, your soulmate is not going to give a shit about any of that.
- Regardless of the how ugly you might feel some days, there are at least 7 people who saw you and thought that you were hot.
- Regardless of how long you’ve been single, you can trust that divine and perfect timing has got your back.
- Regardless of how much debt you might have, your true worth is not in your bank account.
- Regardless of the donut you just ate, you can always eat an apple next time.
- Regardless of what the national or global economy is, your personal economy does not have to follow the same path.
- Regardless of whether the person said or forgot to say, you don’t have to look for reasons to be offended.
- Regardless of how unimportant you might feel, you always have an impact; the Universe would not have put you here if you weren’t important.
- Regardless of whether one particular date goes well, finding a loving, sexy, soul-level connection with your ideal partner is inevitable.
- Regardless of your circumstances, you have the resourcefulness to change things for the better.
- Regardless of what someone says about you, your own opinion of yourself trumps all others.
- Regardless of the cold and rainy day, you don’t need to be in a low mood.
- Regardless of what you are currently feeling, all emotions are temporary.
- Regardless of how much you weigh or how ill you may feel, health and vitality are possible.
- Regardless of how alone you may feel, others really do care about you.
- Regardless of how your parents treated you, you can thrive in this life.
- Regardless of how long you’ve been feeling lost and confused, clarity is just around the corner.
- Regardless of how perfect someone else’s life may seem, they have insecurities and challenges just like you.
- Regardless how how much “baggage” you think you might have, you are loveable JUST AS YOU ARE.
- Regardless of how many times you’ve tried and failed, if you’re still breathing, you can keep going.
- Regardless of how many closed doors you’ve encountered, there is always another one that CAN be opened.
- Regardless how much you’ve been hurt in the past, you can still choose to live with an open heart.
- Regardless of what teachers, parents, friends or your own mind may tell you, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU.
So next time you find yourself feeling a little hopeless or frustrated, observe which thought might be bringing you down and push the regardless button.
Jeffrey Platts is a men's coach and authentic communication expert who is passionate about helping men create amazing relationships with women. With over 20 years of personal study and transformational training, he has led nearly 200 workshops and retreats on personal growth, dating, and communication. Jeffrey's work and writing has been featured in the Huffington Post, Washington Post, ABC News, Authentic Man Program and the Good Men Project. He brings a rich toolbox of insights and experiences to his facilitation, integrating his adventures as DJ, amateur stand-up comedian, salsa dancer, yoga teacher and world traveler.